Thursday, March 28, 2013



Scheduled for a fistulagram for the potential narrowing of my new fistula.  Hubby and I scheduled and re-scheduled daily work and activities required for the day and recovery time. Arrived at the hospital were I began the usual prep procedures for surgery.  This is never an easy time for me as my veins for IV use are now only on one arm, where veins are quite small and usually requires several techs to successfully hit that spot. 

As I was wheeled into the operating room, I couldn't ignore my "gut thoughts," so I requested to speak with the surgeon prior to twilight sedation.  My concern focused on the fact that I hadn't had an exam or ultra sound, prior to this procedure being scheduled. The reality was that the information gathered was submitted from the apheresis nurse, who briefly checked my site during a pre-visit that I had requested and that was the reason I was on the operating table.  

Luckily I went with my "gut thought" and spoke to the Dr. who in turn kindly replied well "let's run an ultra sound-hmmm looks pretty good to me." After a brief phone consult with my primary surgeon, I was wheeled out of the operating room, and released. 

Later that afternoon I had an appointment with the primary surgeon to discuss the fistula site; reviewed the ultra sound, discussed the maturation needed for the apheresis treatment, and fistula in general.  Although I am learning as I go about the AV fistula and LDL apheresis treatment, I can truly note that as a patient having the education and information up front prior to procedures could have saved all of us a lot of time and emotional expense.

Today, I woke with a skip in my step and a soft joy of understanding...my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment